Thursday, June 15, 2006

From Mumbai to Calicut:: Mumbai Dude to Mallu Dude

I took the Natravati Express from Lokmanya Tilak terminus at Kurla on 12th June for Calicut. As the train started to move, I somehow felt a tinge of saddness decending upon me...yes, I will miss Mumbai. My summer of 2006 has come to an end and I was going back to God' own country or rather God's own institute, IIM K.


The journey to K however was a wonderful experience. I did not know that Natravati takes the Konkan Railway's route. Konkan Railways is perhaps the most beautiful railroute in India. I had travelled this route by the Mangala Express. My first train journey to the south was really memorable one. I had never seen such natural beauty in my life. The route winds along the Western Ghats and the fertile belts of Maharastra and Karnataka. You will get to see many amazing scenes, waterfalls and a lot of greenery. I did not have a camera then or else I could have created a huge album of the sights.

The Delhi-Calicut route has the highest number of railway tunnels. I was told that there are around 52 tunnels, digging through the hills which had reduced the rail distance by around 40 kms. This rail track is perhaps the finest projects of the Indian Railways and deserves a heritage status.

Anways, my Natravati journey was made exciting by some fellow passengers in my compartment besides the natural beauty of the route. All of them were Malayalies travelling from Mumbai. These were very jolly people. One of the guys threw a jigsaw puzzle challenge he had created and I was asked to solve it first. I simply could not solve it in the stipulated time. But it was a nice time-pass.
These people made merry throughout the night. I had my berth at the top and I slept much. But these guys kept awake throughout the night, sharing jokes, various life experiences, songs and hobbies.

The train could stop on the way sometimes for a crossing thus giving me time to capture some of the beautiful sceneries. Besides, I kept using my camera whenever something great struck my eyes.

I got down at the Calicut station on the 13th morning only to find that there was a strike in the city over the gasoline price hike. I was wonedring how to reach the campus when an autowala came forward with a proposal to carry me to Kunnamangalam for Rs. 200, around Rs.100 more than the normal rate. I had no other option but to concede.

You know what greeted me as the autorickshaw turned for the hostel? See the picture..






For more amazing pictures of my journey, please check out my album here.

1 Comments:

At 8:49 AM PDT, Blogger anup.777 said...

Hey! ... nice pics ... ya that route must be really scenic this time of da year ...

and thats such a welcoming sign na ... hehe :)

All da best ... a pity we never ran into each other during my stint at NS ... Koi baat nahin ... keep blogging Dude! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home