Thursday, June 22, 2006

Rambling Memories of Bhutan

thunder dragonYeah, as the topic says, this post is all about my rambling memories of the beautiful Himalayan Kingdom of Bhutan. I started my childhood in this country (for which I am really grateful to destiny). The Bhutan life was undoubtedly the golden era of my life. I spent 14 years in this country, in the bowls of the mighty Himalayas.

I can recall everything about this country, from my primary school classes to the long trekkings I participated in. My first school was at Deothang which is 18 kms north of the border town of Samdrup Jongkhar in the eastern part of the country. In this part, Bhutan is bordered with the Indian state of Assam (my home state). After two years in (then called) LKG+UKG, I came to Samdrup Jongkhar Primary School (SJPS). This school holds a lot of my golden memories. It is located in a very beautiful area, just beside a brook and surrounded by hills on the three side. I learnt to speak Nepali and Sarchopa (a local spoken dialect) while at SJPS. I had many Indian, Nepali and Bhutanese friends (sadly, I have no contacts with anyone of them right now). many teachers were of Indian and Nepali origins and were friends of my family.

Takshang Monastry -- Tiger's NestLife at Samdrup Jongkhar was great. I used to go fishing in the brook with my friends and long hiking into the jungles. I had many dreams in those days about my youth (hahahaha :D). I wanted to be a rocket scientist :). I also founded a football club (called the Junior Rising Soccer Team) which is definitely dead now. We used to have regular matches in the school football ground. I passed my ICSE board class VI common exams from SJPS.

My next academic stop was at Mongar town, which is also in eastern Bhutan. (All these happened coz' my dad had his transferable job). I went to the Mongar High School here, which is located on a mountain peak, overlooking the great Mongar and Chamang Valley. The mighty Kuri-Chu, one of the swiftest rivers of the country flows through this valley.

My worked at Lingmethang, 30 kms by road down the valley. The Lingmethang village is a great picnic location and every weekend that I used to go there was nothing more than a picnic. Although, the village was 30 kms by road, my friends and I loved to hike down the valley.The Paro Valley It was great fun. My mind is still flooded with the memories of the winding mule-tracks, the tall prayer flags and the chir-pine trees. O' how I miss all these.

I ended my Bhutan days in 1992 when I had completed class VII and had to join a school in India to complete matriculation. So we came to Gauhati, Assam. My dad is still in Bhutan, one year short of retirement.

Anyone interested to know more about the Himalayan Kingdom of Bhutan from me, please feel free to write to me or leave a comment on the blog. I will contact you with the information required. Tourism details about the country are available in here.


After the golden period of childhood in the bowls of the majestic Himalayas , I come to the plains where I miss the touch of its eternal bliss ..

CHILDHOOD DAISIES

Every little plant

Was a caring father;

The swift flowing river

Gave me motherly water;

The cool breeze was

My little sister – I jumped and played with her;

The little sweet flowers

Were my faithful lovers;

And like true lovers did they

Weep when I had to leave them alone;

The little chirping birds were

My most consoling friends;

They regale me with their music sweet

When in pensive mood I sat;

So many mates did I have,

And so much love they gave;Blue Poppy-national flower

I did not know then that

There was a man so poor,

That he needed another man at core;

O my good parents, my lovely friends,

How I miss you now;

But I am so proud,

That your love I had found.

20th May 2000

3 Comments:

At 5:03 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ccc

 
At 5:11 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good Blog. seems u put lot of efforts everday in updating and putting new stuff on this.

Article on Bhutan is really good with nice pics.

 
At 5:14 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Govind is leaving tommrow. Planned a small farewell for him today (myself and tapan) but it seems Aunty is having some proble -- so not sure whether we can have the party tonight.

rest all are fine -- vadi, shiv, Manojit, Tapan, Somen, Raju, Pooja all are fine. Prakash has been transfered to Vijaipur and Kalia to Mumbai (belapur)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home