Thursday, June 29, 2006

Radio BakarD Boys

For last 3 months, my satellite radio powered by World Space had been silent while I was on my

summer internship. I renewed my subscription a few days back. But the problem was with the signal. I have shifted my room from D#1(ground floor) to D#41(second floor). In my previous room, I had no problem with the signal. But in my new room, I was not able to align the antenna as there are a lot of concrete obstactions and no place to keep the antenna.

Siam and I struggled to place the antenna but the reciever would only work if placed much further from the varanda. We decided to use a long pole to hang the antenna. Taking the help of the sweeper, we engineered to hang the antenna and utimately managed to recieve decent signal.

Once the radio was up and running, we decided to try if we could shoutcast the sound in the LAN. And of course we succeeded!! To know how we did it, please read below. I think you also should be able to shoutcast live radios following these steps.

(1) I am using Absolute Sound Recorder v3.3.6 to capture the sound from the sound card of my laptop. This a great software in the sense that it can record and store sound in many formats besides capturing direct sound from the sound card. Download it from here.

(2) Connect your World Space reciever and take the line-out from the reciever and feed it into your computer through the line-in.

(3) Run Absolute Sound Recorder v3.3.6 and let all the default options work.

(4) Set-up your SHOUTcast server and let it run.

(5) Start WinAmp and connect to the SHOUTcast server which is running on your computer.

(6) Keep your radio volume at about 15 to avoid amplification problems and reduce noise.

(7) Multicast your server link and ask people to connect to your server in the LAN.

This is how we could SHOUTcast the sound of World Space satellite radio in the IIM K LAN. Now everybody is enjoying World Space for free at IIM K. I have christened my SHOUTcast radio as Radio BakarD ==> The Sound of WorldSpace. For IIM K public, the link is http://172.20.4.16:8000. Connect and enjoy!!

1 Comments:

At 11:54 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey is worldspace avlbl on net ??i mean its shoutcast server??? waise u know radiocity 91 FM delhi is avlbl online on net http://210.7.68.196:8000 i m rebroadcasting this radio in iit kharagpur LAN..so RADiocity delhi has its listeners in kgp as well :)..just wanna ask u if radio mirchi or red FM is avlbl?? mail me at abhi.iit@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home